Re: Microwave Heaters

> Date:          Thu, 6 Mar 97 17:05:07 -0600
> From:          "William G. Nabor" <wgnabor@uci.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:       Microwave Heaters

>      This sounds like a crazy idea to me.
	Yes, probably it is. However the old linac at Michael
	Reese, an adaptation of a 10' section of a Stanford Linac
	for therapy in the middle 50's, (10 years before Varian
	came on the scene with the first successful therapy
	linac,)  was actually built by engineers from Helene
	Curtis.

	Seems they were trying to develop a microwave hair-
	dryer, and it didn't pan out, and they had these microwave
	engineers sitting around ... the rest is history.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist - Center for Radiation Therapy
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu   ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697

Have you heard of the ship called the good Reuben James
manned by bold fighting men, both of honor and of fame.
She flew the Stars and Stripes, of the land of the free.
But tonight She's in her grave, at the bottom of the sea.
- Woodrow Wilson Guthrie