Re[2]: Electronic Dosimetry

     Bob,

     You make some good points and all have been addressed.  I am not
     recommending abandoning the secondary dosimeter.  In fact, I am
     planning on using the TLD as a back-up (I also spoke with ANI when
     they were here for an inspection).  Some benefit can be derived from
     this.  One could set up a program where the TLD is not processed
     unless it is necessary (e.g., ED failure, or ED dose >= to 100 mrem or
     some other dose setpoint), or the TLD processing frequency could be
     extended to say once per 6 months.  The ratio (TLD/EPD) could continue
     to be monitored for problems (performance indicator).

     As far as investigation of a failed ED, with the back-up TLD, you have
     an alternative, also with the Siemens EPD and associated software, we
     have the ability to identify (with a couple of computer keystrokes)
     every user of the particular EPD in question since it was issued from
     Dosimetry.  Not really a problem!  Consider this:  TLDs are issued to
     different workers also.  If the worker's dose is typically low each
     processing period (20-30 or anything <100 mrem for that matter), an
     under-responding TLD may be hard to detect.  At the end of the 1 or
     two year period when it comes time to generate ECFs, and a particular
     TLD(s) ECF changes by, oh say 25%, what do you do then?  We have to go
     back and look at all of the personnel dose associated with that or
     those particular TLDs and make adjustments as necessary.  If you are
     reading TLDs monthly or quarterly or whatever, chances are you are not
     issuing the worker the same TLD you took from him/her to process.  So
     you see, you have the same problem as with a failed ED ("could be
     man-years of work per failed dosimeter!").

     Data Loss.  With the Siemens EPD (I hope with the others also) the
     data is written to an EEPROM every 15 minutes.  If the EEPROM were
     totally obliterated, then the dose would be lost.  Anything short of
     obliteration, dose can be retrieved from the EEPROM.

     Calibration.  With two irradiators, EPDs can be calibration verified
     at a rate of 1 per minute with one person.  Considering lunch break
     and a few other breaks, you could realistically calibrate between
     300-400 in a 8 hour day.  That is about how many we use during normal
     non-outage conditions.  Also, this verification is only done once per
     6 months.  The TLD/EPD lab here is currently run with 1 work leader, 2
     Techs and a Dosimetry Clerk.  That is for both EPDs and TLDs.  We have
     approximately 1800 people badged and process quarterly.

     Finally, we could spend all day/week debating on TLDs and EDs.  There
     is no such thing as a perfect dosimeter (not even the TLD)!  If you
     want to pursue Electronic Dosimeter Dose of Record, you need to have
     at least the following (in my opinion):

     An ED that performs like a TLD.
     A back-up Dosimeter.
     NVLAP Accreditation, including proficiency testing in all categories
     except 3A and Neutrons.
     A sound Calibration or Calibration Verification program.
     A well documented basis to support ED as dose of record.
     Regulator (NRC etc.) concurrence.
     Plant Management concurrence.

     A major problem that we have in this industry is that there is no
     REALISTIC Standard for us to measure against as far as EPD
     performance.  Some that have been issued previously are based on dated
     information.

     As with you Bob, unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.

     Werner K. Paulhardt
     S-D
     CCNPP