Re: Biodegradeable Liquid Scintillation Cocktails

Indeed in THEORY, all we need to do is adhere to the letter of the
law.....But as in all regulations, there are grey areas of the
regulations in which we like to have the regulators rule in our favor
!

If we beat their regulations (technically) but trying to be cute or
clever (as by diluting wastewater) we run the risk of being hammered
by the authorities on other issues that they may have been willing to
give lots of leeway in.  Perhaps our experience with the Massachusetts
 regulatory agencies is different from yours.

In fact, in Massachusetts,  dilution of Mercury containing compounds
to achieve legal drain disposable concentrations would probably be
considered "waste treatment", which is illegal in MA without a
permit!

Ron Amoling
amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu