So called "Biodegradable" Scintillation Cocktails

Radsafers,

Several years ago I did some research on the so called "biodegradable" or
"environmentally" safe liquid scintillation cocktails.  It turns out these
cocktails may still be considered hazardous and in some locals they cannot be
sewer disposed.

I took samples of several of the major brands and analyzed them as I would a
hazardous waste.  Results showed some constituents closely resembled regulated
materials.  "Proprietary information" is the only explanation I could get from
the manufacturer's.  Many of the chemicals listed on the MSDS sheets were so
new in name that they did not appear on any EPA list or in chemical guides.

Items of interest I discovered:

These cocktails are probably not hazardous wastes by current EPA definitions.
Some may be hazardous under DOT regulations.
They burn very well, because their BTU value is higher than the Toluene/Xylene
cocktails.
They may be defined as hazardous in some states due to the LD50.
Addition of sampled materials and other chemical could make the mixture a
hazardous waste.
They are less hazardous to users and in storage.
Transportation costs are slightly lower in some states.
Disposal costs are the same.
Analytical results show peaks similar to hazardous chemicals.
The United States does not have a definition of what constituents a
"biodegradable" or "environmentally safe" material.

The cost for disposal at Perma-Fix of a standard Scintillation Vial averages
less than $.10 each.  Labor and other related costs to empty each vial, pour
the contents down the drain and then certify there is no radioactive
contamination in or on the vial, probably equals or exceed $.10 each.  If you
send the empty vials out as radioactive dry waste to Barnwell you are probably
paying $.20 per vial for disposal.

The EPA may decide in the future that the chemical constituents of these
cocktails fall under their regulations.  We do not want to be faced with
cleaning up a superfund site or possible fines if this ever occurs, therefore
we use Perma-Fix to process and burn all Scintillation materials instead of
drain disposal or other options.

Regarding dilution before drain disposal, you are entering that gray area.
If a generator has declared their material a waste they must abide by the
local state and federal regulations pertaining to disposal.  In some cases
dilution may not be acceptable and treatment often times needs to occur within
90 days of generation.

Contact me directly if anyone has any questions.

John

J_McCormick_Bionomics@msn.com
423-376-0053