Re: NRC License Amendment (RSO Change)

Actually, this might be better addressed to your regulator (unless
you are asking whether such institutions have official policies on
this issue).  So I'll put on my regulator hat and give you my
answer:

The RSC should meet immediately to:

(1) designate a qualified interim RSO to handle day-to-day
    activities;
(2) evaluate the radiation safety program to ensure adequacy,
    including meeting license/regulatory until a replacement is
    hired;
(3) take all necessary steps to ensure adequacy until a replacement
    RSO is appointed (could include increased RSC oversite, hiring
    consultants, temporary shuffling of licensee resources, etc...);
(4) set up a search committee to identify necessary qualifications
    for RSO and a timeframe for hiring such an individual; and
(5) provide all of this information to the regulatory agency ASAP
    (or as it becomes available).

If this is done in a reasonable fashion, the regulator will probably
provide as much time as is necessary to bring in a well-qualified
full-time RSO.

Editorial Note: A properly staffed (quality and quantity) radiation
safety office should be able to survive this time period without
major disruption.  If this is not the case, the institution should re-
evaluate their radiation safety program.

Wes

> Date sent:      Mon, 10 Mar 97 08:44:48 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           Tad Blanchard <Tad.M.Blanchard.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        NRC License Amendment (RSO Change)

> For those of you with NRC broadscope licenses...
>
>     How much time does the Radiation Safety Committee have to designate a
> "new" RSO via license amendment, if the old RSO leaves the facility without
> warning?

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us