Re: NRC License Amendment (RSO Change)

Tad Blanchard wrote:
>For those of you with NRC broadscope licenses...
>
>	How much time does the Radiation Safety Committee have to designate a
>"new" RSO via license amendment, if the old RSO leaves the facility without
>warning?

It must vary greatly from state to state and NRC region to NRC region.  When
I left UC Santa Barbara to accept a higher level job at UC Irvine in 1989,
the EH&S leadership at UCSB decided to appoint an interim RSO (who was not
qualified by either education or experience to be permanent RSO) for an
extended period of time (~2+ years) for salary savings.  Most of the health
physics work was done by three part-time student assistants during this
period.  As I understand it, the students even prepared the application for
license renewal (broad-scope type A).

Frank E. Gallagher, III, CHP       |   300 University Tower
Manager, Radiation Protection,     |   Irvine, CA   92697-2725
  and Radiation Safety Officer     |     E-mail: fegallag@uci.edu
Environmental Health and Safety    |     Office: (714) 824-6904
University of California, Irvine   |     Fax:    (714) 824-8539