Re: Extremity Doses and Iodine

Depending on the isotope worked with, and how a contamination check
is performed, and with what type of instrumentation, it is plausible
that there could be contamination and not be detected by a
contamination frisk. In my "lifetime" I have assessed dosimeters that
have been contaminated, a high dose response was observed, and the
contamination check didn't display any unusual reading. Other
points that needs to be made are:

1. When the badge was worn (time frame). Time from "potential"
    contamination until it is received by your processor can be two
    months for a montly ring, and 4 months for a quarterly ring.

2. Energy spectra ...  daughter product is Xe-125.

3. Half-life of the material that "potentially" contaminated the
    dosimeter. It could be that the dosimeter was receiving an
    exposure from the contamination for a considerable time, and when
    the dosimeter was received for processing, the levels could be
    significantly reduced. An analogy, internal deposition, body
    burden performed later (if not known that there was an upatke) ..
    what is the true dose to be assigned, and is it valid. I-125 has
    a ~ 60 day t 1/2.

Bottom Line: Regulatory Agency is misinformed if they are relying on
a processor to "validate" ALL contamination issues.

------------------
Sandy Perle
Technical Director
ICN Dosimetry Division
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Office: (800) 548-5100 x2306
Fax:    (714) 668-3149

mailto:sandyfl@ix.netcom.com
mailto:sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Homepages:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/1205 (primary)
http://www.netcom.com/~sandyfl/home.html (secondary)

"The object of opening the mind as of opening
the mouth is to close it again on something solid"
              - G. K. Chesterton -