K-25 Accident Information

    Dear RADSAFEr's,

    There appears to be continuing interest in the unfortunate accident
    at K-25, and understandably so.  However, the investigation team
    report has not been issued yet, and normally no information is
    released or confirmed until that time.  Therefore, we have no 'firm'
    information as to the cause of the accident or the precursors.
    However, due to the universal interest and the general nature of
    some relevant details of the accident, the team did take the
    somewhat unusual step of issuing a preliminary statement through the
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety, and
    Health, Dr. O'Toole.  It was distributed a couple of weeks ago, but
    I am attaching it below for those who did not get it.

    While K-25 was not a Defense Programs facility, we too have a strong
    and active interest in the accident and the multiple concerns it
    raises for our operations.  As more factual information becomes
    available, we will try to share it with you.

    Douglas Minnema, CHP
    Radiological Control Program Advisor
    Defense Programs
    Department of Energy

    Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov

On March 7, 1997, Dr. Tara O'Toole, Assistant Secretary, Environment, Safety

and Health, issued the following memorandum.  This information is being
provided via the DOE Lessons Learned list server in response to numerous
requests for information associated with the DOE Type A Investigation.  If
you
have any questions, please contact the person identified in the memorandum.

Department of Energy
Memorandum