Public Citizen

Radsafers:
The recent article about the anti-nuke groups' desire to modify the "Nuclear
Reaction" PBS program compelled me to check out the Public Citizen homepage;
specifically the Critical Mass Energy Project
(www.essential.org/orgs/public_citizen/CMEP/home.html). The documents
accessible from there are certainly enough to scare the daylights out of
folks. Some of the allegations are blatantly false (e.g., the NRC won't
distribute KI to the public because it doesn't want to protect them), and
others claim more truth than I believe is warranted (e.g., 100% increase in
thyroid cancer after Chernobyl).

Being fairly new to the HP world, I would not feel comfortable in disputing
the information put out in Public Citizen documents, but I'm sure that many
radsafers are more than qualified to do so. Is this futile? Is this
something that the HPS should look into doing?

Though I think this is something of interest to all on the list, feel free
to respond to me directly at umtrahp@concentric.net.
Joe Bianconi
Uranium Mill Tailings
Remedial Action Project