Re: EVACUATION OF BRACHYTHERAPY PATIENTS

Dear Ray,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I assume you are dealing with
gynecological brachtherapy - low-dose-rate, probably using Cs-137  with manual insertion
and removal of source rods into the tandems.  When we were doing these, it was decided
that nurses should be trained to remove the source rods in the event of an emergency -
and we foresaw the following most likely scenarios where that might be necessary:

1. evacuation in case of fire or medical emergency (cardiac or respiratory arrest,
seizure, etc)
2. if the patient had tampered with the tandem by pulling it out of position,
3. if a uncooperative or confused patient had unscrewed a tandem cap causing the source
rod to change position.

I developed an illustrated written instruction  package on Cs-137 source rod removal for
the nursing staff, and co-delivered the in-service sessions to the nursing staff with
the senior brachytherapy radiation therapist.  We used a skeleton model of the pelvis
with actual tandems in place, and after the verbal and demonstration training session,
had each of the trainee nurses remove dummy source rods from the tandems and transfer
them to the mobile Pb pig in the room. It's important that they have this kind of
hands-on experience in their training.

The written instruction package, in-service lecture and hands-on demonstration session
were all developed as part of our hospital's formal Transfer-of-Function system, which
we use whenever nurses are given responsibility for and must gain competence in a
medical task which formally had been performed by a physician or specialized
technologist, etc.  Proposed transfers-of-function have to be approved by a review panel
and senior hospital management.  Of course we kept track of those who had participated
in the training sessions, and it was the head nurse's responsibility to ensure that new
ward staff were trained in this skill as they were hired and that refreshers were given
at least once annually.

We are no longer doing LDR manual source placement brachytherapy, having switched over
to an automated HDR system.

If you are interested in reviewing our emergency brachytherapy source removal
instruction package, please contact me and I'll mail or fax it it to you.

Karin Gordon
RAdiation Safety Office		phone	(204) 787-2903
Health Sciences Centre		fax	(204) 787-1313
GC-214, 820 Sherbrook St.	e-mail	KGordon@cc.UManitoba.ca
Winnipeg, MB. Canada
R3A 1R9