Hospital I-131 waste and NRC regulations

The U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission regulations on waste to sanitary sewers
are contained in Title 10 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 20.2003.  This
section gives limits on quantities and forms of radioactive materials that can be
released to sanitary sewers.  Small quantities may be released on the basis that few
people drink significant quantities of raw sewage prior to treatment and dilution.
The section also states,

"Excreta from individuals undergoing medical diagnosis or therapy with radioactive
material are not subject to the limitations ... of this section."

Thus, there is no need to monitor or hold up the release of sewage because of
patient excreta.

With regard to diapers, if the diapers are in the possession of the licensed facility,
the diapers are radioactive waste and must be disposed of under the requirements
of section 20.2001 and related sections.

However, if radioactive material is contained in the body of a patient who is
released under the provisions of Section 35.75, which governs patient release, the
radioactive material is no longer licensed or under the responsibility of the
licensee.  Thus, diapers from the home of  a released patient may be disposed of as
ordinary trash.

The differing treatment of the same item (diapers with radioactive materials) is
justified, in part, on the basis that the licensee has the facilities, equipment,
personnel, and training to deal with the waste whereas the released patient does
not.  The other part of the basis is that the quantities of radioactive materials
involved are relatively small and are in a form (primarily urine) not likely to be
consumed so that the potential hazard is small relative to the benefit from releasing
the patient.

Stephen McGuire
SAM2@NRC.GOV
301-415-6204

(My own opinions, naturally.  Not approved by my employer.)