Re: Hospital I-131 waste and NRC regulations

I understand the position stated by Mr.McGuire below; however, having man
power and training and equipment is a poor justification for
expending the time, space and money to handle a problem that is
acknowledged by Mr. McGuire to be negligible.

In fact the problem is not negligible.  The potential for bio-hazard
risk should in most cases take precedent and the diapers should be
disposed of in the biohazard waste stream, immediately.

> However, if radioactive material is contained in the body of a patient who is
> released under the provisions of Section 35.75, which governs patient release, the
> radioactive material is no longer licensed or under the responsibility of the
> licensee.  Thus, diapers from the home of  a released patient may be disposed of as
> ordinary trash.
>
> The differing treatment of the same item (diapers with radioactive materials) is
> justified, in part, on the basis that the licensee has the facilities, equipment,
> personnel, and training to deal with the waste whereas the released patient does
> not.  The other part of the basis is that the quantities of radioactive materials
> involved are relatively small and are in a form (primarily urine) not likely to be
> consumed so that the potential hazard is small relative to the benefit from releasing
> the patient.
>
> Stephen McGuire
> SAM2@NRC.GOV
> 301-415-6204
>
> (My own opinions, naturally.  Not approved by my employer.)

Jerry Rosen

University of Pittsburgh
Phone:  412-624-2728
Fax:    412-624-3562