Exposure Benefits

There was a recent RADSAFE posting by Dr. Roy Parker on a new X-ray
inspection tool that could be used to frisk members of the general public.
It would give each person so "frisked" 3 microREM exposure.  I assume that
this is not a joke and that such a device is really in the works.  Amazing.

Dr. Parker then went on to state that there was a prevaling ethical code
that people should not be exposed to ionizing radiation without medical
benefit.  I disagree.  I have been allowing myself to be exposed to ionizing
radiation for 23 years without any medical benefit.  Most members of RADSAFE
have been doing this also.  I do it for money.  I get paid by my employer,
who limits my exposure according to regulations to some small amount, but
MUCH greater than 3 microREM and pays me cash on the first of every month.
While I may argue that the amount of the cash is smaller than I would like,
I accept the exposure because, small though the amount is, the money paid
IS a tangible benefit.  It is NOT, however, a MEDICAL benefit.

Thus, by analogy, we admit that people may be exposed to regulated amounts
of ionizing radiation for benefits other than medical ones.  For example,
freedom from being blown up in mid air.  I am willing to be exposed to 3
microREM for that benefit.

The question will be this:  Is everybody so willing?  Time will tell.
William G. Nabor
University of California, Irvine
EH&S Office
Irvine, CA,  92697-2725