RE: Location of Radiation Safety Office

I've worked at both a centralized and a remote RSO.  It is by far better to
be right in the middle of all the action...  Get yourself as centralized as
possible and you will find "they will come".  It's a great way to stay connected
and people find it convienient to speak with you, visit you, and you can have
better access to them as well.  It builds a different relationship I have found
then one of a distant resource thats called only when something is wrong.

At one facility I worked at the radiation safety group was in a different
building than the controlled area of the plant.  Every time someone needed
something they would have to leave the restriced area, change out, frisk and
proceed to walk 100 yrd.  We fixed this by constructing a small (but functional)
tech station right at the change area or control point.  This gave us direct
access to the controlled area as well as the workforce having direct access to
the RPO techs.  At this point workers could get radiation work permits,
respirators, BZA's, etc..  It worked out great and we gained alot of points and
better interactions with the work force.

William A. Lorenzen, R.S.O.
Children's Hospital
Boston, MA

lorenzen_w@a1.tch.harvard.edu