Re[2]: skin contamination to skin dose assessment

     Here is a question and a little data calculated by Varskin2.

     This question is related to GM instrument response.  Each decay may
     yield one or more beta particles.  Would the GM response
     characteristics of the GM count all of them as one pulse/avalanche?  I
     would think that any delayed emissions from a decay would have to be
     substantial to fall outside of the typical 50-100 microsecond dead
     time.  Any thoughts?...

     Does it not seem unlikely, from a kinetics/electrical field repulsion
     point of view, that all of the betas from a single decay would all be
     emitted in the same direction?  A random distribution of
     betas/energies striking the GM at any one instant would create a
     randomly changing detector efficiency.  I wouldn't go so far as to say
     that it would produce a noticeable effect by someone using a GM in the
     field, but it is just an interesting theoretical observation just the
     same.  Any thoughts?...

     Here is some data compiled from a few varskin runs. These are typical
     contributors in a nuclear power plant setting and you can see that
     there can be a significant difference in the actual dose factors.  We
     have the facilities to perform isotopic analysis easily and the mix of
     these contributors can vary greatly, so isotopic-specific dose factors
     are the rule.  The cases use a 1 microCi-hr point source on the skin:

                Gamma   Beta
                (mrem)  (mrem)
     Co-60      185     3700
     Fe-59      96      3890
     Zr-95      88      4010
     Sb-125     85      2400
     Co-58      122     137
     Nb-95      88      797
     Ag-110m    269     1450
     Sb-124     170     4950
     Hf-181     67      11100

     If isotopic analysis isn't really an option for some smaller
     facilities, then I would certainly think you could come up with some
     rules of thumb that take instrument response and varskin-generated
     dose factors into account.

     Sincerely and looking forward to feedback,

     Glen Vickers
     HP, Nuclear Power
     BRZGV@ccmail.ceco.com