ALAN HALE'S LETTER -- SCIENCE OPPORTUNITIES

     RADSAFERS: THE FOLLOWING LETTER FROM THE DISCOVERER OF COMET HALE-BOPP
     WAS POSTED RECENTLY ON "GROUNDWATER" AND I HAVEN'T SEEN IT, YET, HIT
     RADSAFE. ACCORDINGLY, ENJOY.
     RANDY BRICH
     USDOE
     RICHLAND, WA. E-MAIL: randall_f_brich@rl.gov

     "All our science, measured against reality is primitive and childlike
     and yet it is the most precious thing we have." Albert Einstein

     Science Opportunities

     An open letter to the scientists of my generation:

     I am Alan Hale, the co-discoverer of Comet Hale-Bopp which, as I'm
     sure you're aware, is getting a tremendous amount of media attention
     at this time. Like I'm sure is true for many of you, I was inspired by
     the scientific discoveries and events taking place during my childhood
     to pursue a career in science only to find, after completing
     the rigors of undergraduate and graduate school, that the
     opportunities for us to have a career in science are limited at best
     and are which I usually describe as "abysmal." Based upon my own
     experiences, and those of you with whom I have discussed this issue,
     my personal feeling is that, unless there are some pretty drastic
     changes in the way that our society approaches science and treats
     those of us who have devoted our lives to making some of our own
     contributions, there is no way that I can, with a clear conscience,
     encourage present-day students to pursue a career in science. It
     really pains me a great deal to say something like that, but I feel so
     strongly about this that I have publicly made this statement at almost
     every opportunity I have been given.

     I am trying to use the media attention that is currently being focused
     upon me to raise awareness of this state of affairs, and perhaps start
     to effect those changes that will allow me to convey a more positive
     message to the next generation. So far, I'm sensing a certain
     reluctance among the media to discuss this issue, as they seem far
     more interested in items which I consider to be irrelevant and
     unimportant. But I intend to keep hammering away at this, and I'd like
     to believe that eventually some are going to sit up and take notice. I
     am also attempting to schedule meetings with some of our government
     leaders, to see if I can at least get some acknowledgement from
     Washington that this is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

     My reason for writing to you is to ask your help. I know that I'm not
     alone in being frustrated about the current prospects for pursuing any
     kind of decent career within science, and I'm quite sure that many of
     you have "horror stories" about your searches for decent employment
     that are quite similar to my own. I'd like to hear them. I'd
     especially like to hear from those of you who are on your second or
     third or fourth post-doc, or who have left the field as a result of
     the employment situation, or who have experienced severe personal
     difficulties (e.g., break-up of a marriage, etc.). I realize that some
     of these might be painful to discuss, but I'd like to show that we are
     not a bunch of impersonal statistics, but that we're human beings
     trying to make an honest living and perhaps make a contribution or two
     to society while we're at it. Speaking of statistics, though, if you
     received any information about the numbers of applicants to some of
     the positions you applied to -- which was often a 3-digit number in my
     case
     -- I'd like to hear that, too.

     Please e-mail your stories to me at ahale@nmsu.edu, with a subject
     line of "horror stories" or something like that. Please let me know if
     you would prefer to remain anonymous when I share these stories with
     the press and the government. Also, please pass this message on to any
     of your friends and colleagues who might be interested in sharing
     their stories with me, and keep in mind that I would like to receive
     stories from as many scientific disciplines as possible. (Because of
     the amount of e-mail traffic I'm receiving these days, along with
     everything else that's going on, I probably won't be able to
     acknowledge each message individually.)

     Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you. Perhaps, with
     the opportunity we have before us right now, we have the chance to
     make a difference.

     Sincerely,

     Alan Hale