Re: Precollege physics safety

Some NCRP reports that may be worthwhile are:

NCRP 32
Radiation Protection in Educational Institutions, 1966.

NCRP 71
Operational Radiation Safety - Training, March, 1983.

NCRP 111
Developing Radiation Emergency Plans for Academic, Medical or Industrial
Facilities, August 30, 1991.

To order these reports, call (800) 229-2652.

There may be also some NRC Regulatory Guides that are useful.

Although these publications may be helpful, I advise you to use a qualified
consultant in preparing this manual, since it appears to be one that will be
used in a wide variety of settings, and will be relied on to protect the
safety of students.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

>Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:18:43 -0500
>       This request was forwarded to me
by one of our faculty. If you have input
you can respond directly to either.
Thank you
Jamie Shotts :-)
jamieson_shotts@muccmail,missouri.edu

To: miller@nenext.nuclear.missouri.edu
>From: Judy Lemons <jlemons@nemonet.com>
>Subject: Precollege physics safety
>
>Dr. Lloyd Barrow, my former advisor, suggested I contact you for guidelines
>for precollege teachers when working with radioactive materials.  I am
>writing a safety manual for the State Dept. of Education which will be sent
>to all school districts in Missouri.  What isotopes do you recommend and in
>what form, what precautions should be taken, how should they be stored, etc.
>>Thank you for your help.  I need to get the manual to reviewers by May 10,
>so hope to hear from you before that time.  An ERIC and Internet search have
>not revealed any sources of information, and the American Association of
>Physics Teachers has not yet responded to my request for their guidelines,
>so your help is really appreciated and needed.
>Your input is really appreciated.
>
>Judy Lemons, Ph.D.

      Bill
William H. Miller