Re: Old Navy Radium

        Reply to:   RE>Old Navy Radium

Hi Mark and Radsafers,

Thanks for your responses to my RADSAFE post.

Actually, I'm very familiar with Ra-226 since my hospital still has and
occasionally still uses radium for therapeutic and research uses.  We have an
inventory of 153 individual sources and a total activity of 756.6 mgRa!!!  In
fact, the State of Connecticut DEP usually calls me and asks if I want to take
these old radium sources which occasionally pop up from the public.

I have leak tested the Navy device and fortunately the source seems to be
intact.  I was relieved to find that out, I didn't want to tell the hospital
volunteer that we were going to have to make his relative's house into a
superfund site!!!   %^)

I was just trying to find someone who knows some of the technical information
about it because I love this old stuff and may donate it to an appropriate place
who will give it a good home.  It's in really good condition, considering it's
age, and would make a good museum piece.  I'm going to check it out tonight to
see if it's still operational as a night scope.  The electronic versions
available today are quite expensive.  This is an early example of WW II
infra-red technology.

Thanks,

Mike Bohan
Radiation Safety Officer