Re: Step-Off Pad Operations

At 10:52 PM 4/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

>  At our DOE facility, we are investigating the operation of our Step-Off
>  Pads (SOP) used to:  1) exit from high (alpha) contamination areas to
>  contamination areas, and 2) exit from contamination areas to controlled
>  (but uncontaminated) areas.  We are considering the use of unmanned SOPs
>  utilizing self-frisking of (at least) hand-carried items, and (possibly)
>  self whole-body frisks, and the use of walk-in booth type whole-body
>  monitors at some locations.
>
>  We would be interested in other DOE and non-DOE site implementation of
>  SOPs and their experience with worker acceptance, compliance, and
>  competence.
>
>  Please feel free to contact me directly or post to the listserver if it
>  would be of interest to others (which my guess is, it would).
>
>  Thanks
>
>  Jim Langsted, CHP
>  M.H. Chew & Associates, Inc.
>  Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site
>  (303)966-2542
>  james.langsted@rfets.gov

When you allow self-frisking you must consider how one will survey the back
of the body. This is a real problem leaving a high contamination area.
Booth type monitors have a problem with surveying the bottom of footwear.
Radioactive material can fall off onto to probe area on the floor of the
device.