more on databases

Melissa:

I would also be interested in a dBase forum.

I have a lot of our records in dBase III+ databases and programs which I
started putting together nine years ago. I am slowly converting to MS Access
on a network. I started with the areas which did not work well in dBase, for
example the film/ring badge reports. One nice thing about Access is that I
can write reports (which look better) using dBase data, without changing the
data entry programs (which still work pretty well).

I will second Jerry Rosen's comments about homemade vs commercial systems. I
enjoy database programming and our dBase programs have been working well for
many years, but I don't ever expect to achieve a comprehensive, smoothly
integrated system. The tradeof of course is that I can make our system work
the way we want it, not the other way round, and I am always available for
bug fixes, etc.

You get what you want and can afford.

Ken

Ken Douglass, Ph.D.