Low Positive Doses in Personnel Monitoring

Please forgive me if this message is duplicated - I have tried to post it
previously but have not seen it appear.

There is an interesting article entitled "Required accuracy and dose
thresholds in individual monitoring" in Radiation Protection Dosimetry,
Vol 54, Nos 3/4, pp. 279-285 (1994), Nuclear Technology Publishing, which
may help to understand (or confuse) the matter of reporting low doses.

In quick summary of the article, the following (terminology will
certainly vary from country to country):

There is a decision limit (with an attached level of confidence), above
which measurements can be considered to be NOT background.

There is a detection limit, which is the lowest dose that can be detected
with a specified level of confidence. Nothing is said about the accuracy
of the measurement in this case.

There is a determination limit, which is the lowest dose that can be
measured with a given precision. For your legal (or own) requirements
regarding lowest reported dose, it can be estimated what the precision of
the measurement will be, based on information obtained from certain
measurements.

The article assumes that reported dose have been corrected for background
irradiation.

For our large dosimetry operation it is certainly impractical to
investigate all non-zero doses. Normally only reported doses  which will,
if continued, lead to an annual dose exceeding the annual dose limits,
are investigated routinely. In other cases doses are investigated when
wearers query them, and also when the distribution of doses for a
specific place  is abnormal.

Whatever the decision about the handling of low reported doses, this
decision should be documented in your quality system.

Du Toit Volschenk
Section Head: Radiation Protection Service
South African Bureau of Standards
Tel: 012 428 6882 (international: 27 12 428 6882)
Fax: 012 344 1568 (international: 27 12 344 1568)
E-mail: DUTOIT@SABS.CO.ZA