Re: waste disposal charges

Sue et al,

I am glad you brought this up since I am trying to revamp our waste
charges.

Under our budget we are supposed to recover from users the
cost of shipping radioactive waste. We impose a lab use fee, which is
minimal and charge individual PIs for waste that we pick up. The
current charges were inherited from the previous RSO and haven't been
updated for aobut 6 years. They range from about $200 for a 55 gallon
drum of LS vials to $700 for a drum of long halflife solids. We also
have charged for short halflife waste, presumably to spread the costs
to all users.

These charges definitely encourage hoarding of waste and other
questionable practices.What we would do if housekeeping
charged us $10 every time they emptied our wastebasket!

We have discussed a few options:

1) There should be no charge for decayable waste unless it can be
linked to institutional charges for storage space, for example.

2) Charge each lab a flat fee each year, depending on the type of
nuclide they use. For example, $1000 per year if they use H-3, $500
if they just produce LS vials. This would place the charges on those
labs producing waste, but remove the temptation to cheat on the
amount.

3) Continue charging per waste picked up, but revise the charges to
reflect current disposal costs. Thus a drum of long halflife solids
might cost $1000 or more, short halflife nothing. This again places
the cost with the waste producers, but can be difficult to figure
because of the delay between pickup and shipment. We also compact
waste, so the final volume will change, and waste from different PIs
may be combined into one container.

4) I like the idea of charging the department rather than the
investigator. Better yet would be including waste charges in
university overhead (like housekeeping), but I don't see that
happening here.

If researchers can include waste disposal costs in their grants, that
is fine. I would rather see my role as facilitating research rather
than impeding it by imposing extra costs to the researcher.

Thanks for the chance to express these thoughts!

Ken
Kenneth H. Douglass, Ph.D.
Director, Radiation Safety
West Virginia University