STRONTIUM-90

     Greg deBruler, self-proclaimed protector of the Columbia River from
     Hanford's discharges, made the following statement in his brochure,
     "Hanford and the River."

     "Strontium-90 has a half-life of 27 years, which means in that length
     of time it will diminish to 1/2 its original amount through the
     process of radioactive decay. Some of the radionuclides released from
     Hanford in the past are no longer of concern because of their short
     half-lives, i.e. iodine 131. Strontium is not one of these.
     Strontium-90 is a bone seeker, meaning it is preferably lodged in
     bones close to the bloodforming bone marrow. It can be a cause of bone
     cancer and immune system suppression."

     As I am currently preparing a rejoinder to Mr. deBruler any
     peer-reviewed references you could provide me with regarding Sr-90's
     propensity to suppress the immune system would be greatly appreciated.

     Thank you,
     Randy Brich
     USDOE, Richland Operations, Hanford Site
     e-mail: randall_f_brich@rl.gov