Re: Frontline

        As a radiation protection technician at the San Onofre power plant,
I found the frontline program a breath of fresh air as far as trying to
explain the hazard of low-level radiation to the general public.  I believe
a follow up program should include a look at common radioactive sources
such as mantel lanterns, radium dial watches, glazed dinner plates, etc.
Such demonstrations are useful during the  initial training of new
radiation workers at the plant.
        My favorite part of the show was Ralph Nader's comment that wind
and solar could replace nuclear (or any fossil fuel, for that matter).  I
wonder if Mr. Nader could tell me how many wind generators (which are
killing birds of prey in the Altamont Pass and Palm Spring areas in large
numbers, I understand) and solar plants would be required to generate the
1300 megawatts (electrical) that one nuclear plant produces?  I believe the
Solar One plant north of Victorville produces about 25 megawatts (and
"destroys" several dozen acres of desert tortoise habitat).  Plus, what
happens when the wind is below the 13mph (I believe) to generate wind
energy at a profit or it's cloudy or night?  My understanding is
photovoltaic is a long way from being economically feasible.  These are a
few points I'd like to see mentioned in a follow-up program.  I'm all for
renewable energy sources, but they are simply not enough to meet our energy
needs at this point in time.
      I've seen a couple of comments about reprocessing fuel instead of
burying it and my understanding has been that, since we have abundant
Uranium deposits in the US., it is cheaper to manufacture new fuel rods
rather than reprocess spent fuel.  If anyone has information to the
contrary, I would be very interested in reading it.  Please e-mail me at:

        coffmake@songs.sce.com

        I've already e-mailed frontline with my comments and will follow-up
with a fax.