RE: Barium Sulfate

Tad,

I don't know about shielding, but when I worked at Kerr-Mcgee Nuclear in
Grants, NM (actually Ambrosia Lake), we used barium sulfate to
precipitate radium from the uranium mine discharge water. It worked very
well. If I remember correctly, it reduced Ra-226 to well under 10% of
initial.

Dave Kump
kumpd@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us