Re: 1-week RSO's

I appreciate you opening up this thread.  The failing is not of the individual
involved but of the Health Physics Society and the regulators for failing to
establish adequate standards for RSO's.  If, about to undergo surgery, I asked
the surgeon where he went to med school, and he responded that he hadn't, but
that he'd worked in hospitals for a while, was a born leader, and tried hard;
I don't know about you, but I'd try to crawl out of there.  Yet, we seem to
allow this practice for RSO's.

Somehow the CHP program isn't working, here, since:  (1) certification is not
generally a requirement for RSO, and (2) the exam is perceived as so difficult
or so uncertain that a large percentage of hp's do not attempt it.  This is
something that we should all be thinking about. Maybe, some intermediate level
of certification is needed.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

I really don't know how to put his gently, so I'll make apologies in
advance.  I do not intend on flaming or by any means insinuating lack of
abililty to any andividual or group, especially not to the person who posted
the following.  I do not know the particulars of the person's background who
posted this, nor am I making assumptions, nor should any be inferred.

>Does anyone out there have any information on routine oral administration
>of KI. I am considering the possibility of offering this option for
>researchers performing iodinations  who would like to minimize their uptake
>of radioiodine. Any ideas or info?

This is the TYPE of thing that make me nervous when I see a 1-week RSO
course offered in the HPS Newsletter and most of the course flyers I get in
the mail as a result of being a HPS subscriber.  It must be a real "cash
cow" to offer such a course, given the number of offerings I've seen.  Are
there companies out there who routinely hire folks who have taken an RSO
course, but who have little education and/or experience in Health Physics?
Do you as a RADSAFER feel that a 1-week RSO course is all that should be
required for some RSO positions?  I would be especially interested in those
RSOs who have attained their position solely by taking such a course.  I
truly plead ignorance as to the efficacy of these courses and whether or not
there are employers who are satisfied with the RSO title only.

It seems to me that if this is the case, there are too many opportunities
for ideas such as these to take root.  At least the person posting asked
other professionals before acting.

Again, the person posting may be a Ph.D. in HP for all I know, so don't slam
me for asking the question...  I would just like to see some discussion from
all levels on this subject.

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Newport News, VA
schwahn@jlab.org