> Von: Scott O. Schwahn <schwahn@CEBAF.GOV>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: 1-week RSO's
> Datum: Dienstag, 29. April 1997 20:13
>
> I really don't know how to put his gently, so I'll make apologies in
> advance.  I do not intend on flaming or by any means insinuating lack of
> abililty to any andividual or group, especially not to the person who
posted
> the following.  I do not know the particulars of the person's background
who
> posted this, nor am I making assumptions, nor should any be inferred.
>
> >Does anyone out there have any information on routine oral
administration
> >of KI. I am considering the possibility of offering this option for
> >researchers performing iodinations  who would like to minimize their
uptake
> >of radioiodine. Any ideas or info?
>
> This is the TYPE of thing that make me nervous when I see a 1-week RSO
> course offered in the HPS Newsletter and most of the course flyers I get
in
> the mail as a result of being a HPS subscriber.  It must be a real "cash
> cow" to offer such a course, given the number of offerings I've seen.
Are
> there companies out there who routinely hire folks who have taken an RSO
> course, but who have little education and/or experience in Health
Physics?
> Do you as a RADSAFER feel that a 1-week RSO course is all that should be
> required for some RSO positions?  I would be especially interested in
those
> RSOs who have attained their position solely by taking such a course.  I
> truly plead ignorance as to the efficacy of these courses and whether or
not
> there are employers who are satisfied with the RSO title only.
>
> It seems to me that if this is the case, there are too many opportunities
> for ideas such as these to take root.  At least the person posting asked
> other professionals before acting.
>
> Again, the person posting may be a Ph.D. in HP for all I know, so don't
slam
> me for asking the question...  I would just like to see some discussion
from
> all levels on this subject.
>
> Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
> Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
> Newport News, VA
> schwahn@jlab.org

Scott,
Thanks for this remark. I do not know whether my comment came through, but
I tried to be very cautious, though I have actually been horrified by the
thought that somewhere people would take KI tablets in order to compensate
for bad practice in iodine labelling work. This really is not what
radiation protection should aim for!

Franz