Re: 1-week RSO's

Scott O. Schwahn, wrote"

>This is the TYPE of thing that make me nervous when I see a 1-week RSO
>course offered in the HPS Newsletter and most of the course flyers I get in
>the mail as a result of being a HPS subscriber.

I worked in an accelerator, part time while attending college, to receive
my degree in Physics. After graduation I worked, full time as a Rad Pro
Officer for 4 years, and continue my education in graduate school. I
decided to go to work in a nuclear utility for more money (my mistake). The
utility had a rule that everyone had to attend some radiation protection
courses that were offered by one of the famous consulting companies.

After 40 hours in this boring class, we had a test, I received 10 out of
100. My crime was that I used "Ln 2" instead of "0.69", the instructor gave
me zero on any problem that needed 0.69.  Also he wrote a note on my exam
that getting the right answer was just a luck. I presented the exam to the
upper management in the utility, they told me that "I am rocking the boat".

I left the utility very quickly, and my job was replaced by a high school
degree from one of their fossil plans, who had to attend in one of "those
training classes". Just for your info, after 15 years of construction the
power plant never went on line.