Re: ALARA or Not? -Reply

RE: Appropriate use of respirators and considerations

The 10CFR20 Question & Answer sets and NRC Health Physics Position
Statements published by the NRC were  available for free download from the
Fedworld BBS and Fedworld web site at http://www.fedworld.gov.  I obtained
my copies of these electronic search engines sometime ago from Fedworld and
haven't verified current availability.  The programs are DOS based and have
been handy as I use both programs frequently to cut regulatory "research"
time.

Regarding the question of allowable considerations for prescription and use
of respiratory equipment, the NRC Q&A program shows that Questions 386,
387, and 449 address worker efficiency, ALARA-TEDE, industrial
hygiene/safety risk, culture shift, and cost/benefit analysis.  All of the
above may considered (legally) when deciding on the appropriateness of
respiratory protection for a particular job or evolution, but please see
the NRC Q&A for the details and any limitations that may apply.

Michael J. Boyle, RRPT, CHP
mjboyle@dpcmail.dukepower.com
---------------------- Forwarded by Michael J Boyle/Gen/DukePower on

 (Embedded