From: azapantis@mgdestmx01.erin.gov.au
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: 1-week RSO's
Date:  April 29, 1997 18:37

>Do you as a RADSAFER feel that a 1-week RSO course is all that should be
>required for some RSO positions?

For some positions, yes, a one week course is enough. I don't know how
it works
in the USA, but here in Australia, at least in the state of Queensland
where I
have worked in the statutory authority, people nominated as RSOs must be
approved by the statutory authority. There are a couple of week courses
offered
by universities in Queensland which have in the past been examined by
the
regulators and deemed appropriate. People doing these courses would be
eligible
for "simple" RSO positions, eg where the licence is for use of Soil
Density and
Moisture Gauges, borehole logging, industrial radiography. Completion of
these
courses with a tertiary qual in physics and relevant experience would
probably
be appropriate for nuke med applications.

The one week course would not be appropriate for RSO positions with a
broader
responsibility, such as University RSOs.

Bottom line: the regulator should decide the level of training/education
required for a person to be able to meet the responsibilities of a
PARTICULAR
RSO position.

Just my probably misinformed opinion!!

Alex Zapantis
Environmental Radiation Officer
Office of the Supervising Scientist
40 Blackall Street
Barton ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA

Email: azapantis@dest.gov.au
Fax : (int+) 61 6 274 1519
Phone: (int+) 61 6 274 1642

The Office of the Supervising Scientist is a Branch of the
         Federal Environment Protection Group