Re[2]: ALARA or Not? -Reply

     Things to consider from a power plant perspective.

     Engineering controls such as HEPA units to filter air or spray bottles
     to keep surfaces wet, etc. should be considered before respiratory
     protection.  The dose required to set up engineering controls should
     be considered into the respirator decision.

     During steam generator maintenance, workers are required to enter the
     steam generator itself for periods of approximately 1 minute or less.
     Typical dose rates would be 8000-12000 mrem/hr with many mrem/hr beta
     of surface contamination.  Air samples for the areas inside the steam
     generator most often come back 0.3 DAC or less; however, when the
     workers enter the steam generator and perform work their motions cause
     loose surface contamination to become suspended in air and cause
     momentary airborne conditions.  It would not be uncommon for a steam
     generator worker to enter a steam generator with an air sample less
     than 0.3 DAC and come out with an intake of about 130 nCi of Co-58 and
     30 nCi of Co60.  Even though the pre-job air sample may seem okay, I
     would never argue with anyone who wished to use a respirator by
     default due to the inability to accurately assess the conditions.

     When a worker does not wear a respirator for such jobs, they will most
     likely need a facial decon or shower due to external contamination as
     a minimum.  It is also very likely that they will be taking a trip to
     the whole-body counter as well.

     I would suggest that if the dose for the job with and without the
     respirator is equal, then use the respirator.  The process of
     showering, whole-body counting the person, follow-up counts of the
     person, lost work time by the craft person and RP personnel, etc. can
     quite substantial.

     If the worker's body, now including the face with the respirator is
     covered, then it is entirely reasonble to have a steam generator
     worker enter the steam generator and come out without a count of
     internal or external contamination.  This is the measure of a good
     performance.

     If my calculation showed that the worker would take less overall dose
     by not wearing a respirator and I could accurately assess the
     conditions, then I would feel personally bound to have the worker
     perform the activity without a respirator.

     Battery powered faceshields are now being used as engineering controls
     instead of respirators.  These faceshields blow filtered air from the
     top on the inside and there is an exhalation hole at the bottom.  The
     faceshield also has rubber sides which cover the rest of the worker's
     face.  These units appear to be effective.

     This is a peek into one perspective based upon a unique kind of work.
     At power plants we typically have high external radiation fields and
     radionuclides with higher ALI's, which means we rarely use respirators
     any more.  We have a nice glove bag maker but can't justify the use of
     a glove bag for contamination/airborne control due to the dose
     required to set the thing up.  Other types of facilities which might
     have lower external radiation fields and radionuclides with lower
     ALI's (alpha emitters, DOE, etc.) might find themselves considering
     respirators far more often than those in the power plant community.

     Feel free to share your opinions...

     Sincerely,
     Glen