Re[2]: ALARA or Not? -Reply

Message authorized by:
    : LLE@nrc.gov_at_INTERNET at X400PO

     I think that we can not afford to discount the total risk to the
     worker when we assign radiological protective measures.  The NRC
     suggests that we should take into account worker efficiency, TEDE,
     occupation and industrial hygiene safety, the workplace culture, and
     socioeconomic factors during the ALARA process. In fact, the DOE is
     starting to address these factors when designing a comprehensive
     radiation protection programs.

     To ignore physiological stresses and occupational hazards opens the
     health physics professional to criticism.  In today's work
     environment, health physicists need to use a total "safety" approach.
     We can be just as wrong for causing a heat stress injury as we can be
     wrong for allowing unnecessary exposures.

     These are but my humble opinions and do not represent those of my
     employer.

     Pete Darnell
     Health Physicist
     US DOE - Fernald