Kids, radiation, and science

Not all kids are indifferent, and a highly motivated teacher can make all
the difference in the world, not only to kids, but to the scientific
profession as well.

In Santa Fe New Mexico, Jay Shelton, a teacher at Santa Fe prep high school
has done tremendous work with his science classes in regards to radiation.
His classes have done high quality investigations in response to the public
outcry over the INS laundry.  The publicity wasn't as extensive as that
surrounding the "anti's", but it was still positive.

In case many people don't know, Santa Fe has passed an ordinance that
closed the INS laundry due to public hysteria over the potential discharges
to the city sewer system.  (If this continues to be upheld, we can ALL
beware).  In the midst of this, Jay's been teaching facts and science, and
I believe making some (albeit limited) progress.

My point is that it CAN be done, and if it can be done in Santa Fe, it sure
as hell can be done ANYWHERE.

A demonstration to the school, their local media, and most of all, the
(IMHO) poorly trained (or advised) Hazmat team is definitely in order if
somebody is near enough.

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov