Re: Irradiation

I ASSUME THAT YOU MEANT GAMMA IRRADIATION AND THE PREVIOUS RESPONDENT
SEEMED TO BE TALKING ABOUT NEUTRON IRRADIATION.  THE NEELY NUCLEAR RESEARCH
CENTER AT GEORGIA TECH HAS A VERY FLEXIBLE Co-60 IRRADIATION FACILITY WHICH
CAN DO THIS.  THE CONTACT THERE WOULD BE
RATIB KARAM, DIRECTOR
404-894-3717

ALSO NEARER TO YOU, THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN HAS A Co-60
IRRADIATOR AT THEIR REACTOR FACILITY.  I DON'T REMEMBER THE DOSE RATES, BUT
I THINK THAT THEY CAN PERFORM THE IRRADIATIONS.   THE CONTACT
TOM BAUER
512-471-5787

>> Greetings.  At my institution, I have a researcher that needs to
>irradiate  blood samples up to the dose level of 100 kGy.  According to my
>calculations, it would take 16 hours in our small irradiator to reach that
>particular dose(impossible for a health care facility to dedicate the
>machine for that period of time).   Does anyone know of a private or
>commercial irradiator that he could contact to make arrangements to have
>his  samples done for him?  Any and all replies would be great.  Please
>reply  directly to my e-mail address unless you think the reply would
>benefit the  group.  Thank you.
>>
>>  Earl Smalts Radiological Safety Texas Tech Univ. Health Sci. Center
>ssdehs@ttuhsc.edu
>
>Call Dan Reese AT Texas A&M, He is the director of the Nuclear Science
>Center ( 1MW TRIGA). He is also a member of the faculty - you can get the
>number for his office in the NE department from the Science Center. The
>Science Center number is (409) 8445-1775.
>
>Ask him about access to DOE funds for university sharing - you might be
>able to pay for it through those funds. TAMU gets DOE funds to allow other
>universities (without reactor facilities to use the reactor). The fluxes
>range between 1E-11 and 1E-13. The NSC can even rent you shielding to get
>the samples back to Texas Tech - or at least they did when worked there....
>Hope this helps.
>
>Marti Poston-Brown
>MRBROWN@Bechtel.com

------
Nolan E. Hertel
Health Physics Program
George W. Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA 30332-0405
(404) 894-3717
facs:  (404) 894-3733