Re: Irradiation

> I ASSUME THAT YOU MEANT GAMMA IRRADIATION AND THE PREVIOUS RESPONDENT
SEEMED TO BE TALKING ABOUT NEUTRON IRRADIATION.  THE NEELY NUCLEAR RESEARCH
CENTER AT GEORGIA TECH HAS A VERY FLEXIBLE Co-60 IRRADIATION FACILITY WHICH
CAN DO THIS.  THE CONTACT THERE WOULD BE RATIB KARAM, DIRECTOR 404-894-3717

> ALSO NEARER TO YOU, THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN HAS A Co-60
IRRADIATOR AT THEIR REACTOR FACILITY.  I DON'T REMEMBER THE DOSE RATES, BUT
I THINK THAT THEY CAN PERFORM THE IRRADIATIONS.   THE CONTACT TOM BAUER
512-471-5787 >> >> Greetings.  At my institution, I have a researcher that
needs to >irradiate  blood samples up to the dose level of 100 kGy.
According to my >calculations, it would take 16 hours in our small
irradiator to reach that >particular dose(impossible for a health care
facility to dedicate the >machine for that period of time).   Does anyone
know of a private or >commercial irradiator that he could contact to make
arrangements to have >his  samples done for him?  Any and all replies would
be great.  Please >reply  directly to my e-mail address unless you think
the reply would >benefit the  group.  Thank you. >> >>  Earl Smalts
Radiological Safety Texas Tech Univ. Health Sci. Center >ssdehs@ttuhsc.edu

>  ------ Nolan E. Hertel Health Physics Program George W. Woodruff School
of Mechanical Engineering Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta, GA
30332-0405 (404) 894-3717 facs:  (404) 894-3733 nolan.hertel@me.gatech.edu
------

I still recommend a call to Dan Reece, they have three large gamma sources
(two C0-60 and a Cs-137) and an gamma irradiation range which was
previously used to administer gamma doses to animals for the studies
performed in the 60's. Currently these sources are used to calibrate survey
instruments - and since the controls can be locked and the facility usually
runs two shifts with hourly walkaround by one of the reactor operators - a
16 hour or more irradation using one of the gamma sources should not be a
problem. The only potential problem here is that use of the gamma sources
is not covered under the DOE funding and so some arrangement for use of the
sources will have to involve transfer of funds between Texas Tech and TAMU.

Marti Poston-Brown
MRBROWN@ Bechtel.com