Re: Panasonic UD-716 badge reader

         Check for an exposure to hydrogen sulfide.  Exposure in an
         atmosphere of just a few ppm can cause the lithium borate elements
         to respond as though irridiated.  H2S is generated by decaying
         marine and other organic matter.  The glow curve associated with
         an H2S exposure will be abnormal.

         warnocrv@songs.sce.com

Dave Arnold wrote:

<Recently we have had a couple of false high dose readings. Readout of
<the backup elements fails to confirm the doses and the wearers'
<of the badges confirm that they have done nothing out of the ordinary,
<work wise.

<Has anyone out there had similar experiences of spurious dose
<readings?  Any comments/explanations welcome.

It is difficult to give a meaningful answer with the information given. I
will attempt to list similar occurrences that we experienced, using our
UD710 readers, and the causes for them. It is assumed that with "high
doses" is meant anything higher than 1 mSv (100 mrem). Doses below 0.5
mSv (50 mrem) are normally much more influenced by statistical noise of
the dosimetry system.

Dosimeters:
We found that in most cases where we could identify some anomally for
doses above 1 mSv (100 mrem), it usually was due to the dosimeter itself
(e.g. damaged element(s), incorrect Element correction factor(s), not
properly annealed, very high single previous exposure, high total
accumulated exposure). Our standard checks in such a case will be the
following:
a) Check the dosimeter element readings, and glow curves if they were
recorded, for anomalies
b) Check the dosimeter element correction factors
c) Check the dosimeter readout history: are there high previous doses, is
the accumulated dose high, are there previous similar occurrences for the
dosimeter
d) Check the dosimeter physically: are there signs of damage, chemical
contamination, loose phosphor grains

Reader:
Check the reader for spurious behaviour (we have had cases where the
Carbon-14 check sources had started to give inconsistent values, causing
inconsistent reader sensitivity correction, and hence element values)

Dose algorithm:
We also had a few (very embarassing) cases where our dose algorithm did
something weird with the dose calculation, because the actual computer
program doing the calculation did not have certain built-in computer
related checks.
For certain boundary conditions, a dose algorithm may give wrong results
in any case, unless care is taken to enforce certain limitations (e.g. a
second order polynomial was used to calculate contributing fractions to
dose, but the polynomial would only be valid over the range of
independant variable for which the data were fitted originally in
establishing the dose algorithm)

Wearer:
There were cases where  wearers did nothing out of the ordinary
personally, but left their dosimeters in a radiation area, or close to
radiation sources.
There also were cases where one person wore another person's badge
(although their names are clearly printed on the holders), and the other
person actually received some exposure.

Unfortunately, we also have had cases where we are still in dispute with
wearers over the dose allocated to them. The wearers did nothing out of
the ordinary, nothing wrong could be found on the processing side, but
yet the dosimeters in question gave every indication, beyond statistical
doubt, that they were exposed

I hope this does not confuse you any more.

Du Toit Volschenk
Section Head: Radiation Protection Service
South African Bureau of Standards
Tel: 012 428 6882 (international: 27 12 428 6882)
Fax: 012 344 1568 (international: 27 12 344 1568)
E-mail: DUTOIT@SABS.CO.ZA