Re: Kids, Radiation and Science

Message authorized by:
    : aperansj@MCCLELLAN-CMLS.ARMY.MIL_at_internet at x400PO
    I would like to second John's suggestion here regarding contacting the
    schools.  When my daughter's sixth grade science class was discussing
    energy, I offered to the teacher to come in and discuss all forms of
energy
    production, including nuclear.  The thought was to put them all into
some
    perspective regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each form (oil,

    coal, nuclear, solar, hydro, etc), demonstrate that all forms had their
    place in the mix, and to show that none could be relied upon to satisfy
the
    whole need.

    The teacher and the school was very receptive to this, and I spent a
full
    day at the school.  I was also in this context able to introduce and
discuss
    the concepts of radiation and its effects on humans.  There was never
any
    negative response; in fact another teacher requested that some of her
    students join in the sessions.

    PS:  The teacher had a plate of Fiestaware that almost pegged my meters
(low
    range alpha and beta/gamma friskers), and would probably have created a
    situation similar to NJ if she had not already been aware of what she
had.
    She had bought it from somebody who assured her it was real, but she had

    never gotten it measured for comfirmation.  We were able to fit it into
the
    discussion nicely.

    Doug Minnema (Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov)
    Defense Programs,
    Dept. of Energy

    what few thoughts I have are indeed my own.