Re: Re[2]: Ionization at 80 eV? (Yes)

At 08:39 AM 5/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

>     I'm confused.  I was under the impression that the Geiger-Muller
>     region was at a distinctly higher voltage than the Proportional
>     region.  My DOE Fundamentals of Instrumentation book places the
>     Proportional region of the gas ionization curve at between ~300 and
>     ~800 volts and the Geieger-Muller region at ~1000 to ~1400 volts.  I'm
>     guessing that these curves are gas dependant (the handbook is quiet on
>     just what gas the curve is relevant to).
>
>     A GM Tube at 900 volts and a proportional detector at 4000 volts
>     doesn't make sense to me unless the ionization curve is gas dependant
>     and differing gases are used in each.  Is this the case?
>
>     This is of interest to me since my FacRep oral board is tomorrow and I
>     may or may not have to talk about the mechanics of radiation
>     detectors.  (Probably not, but better safe than sorry.)
>
>     Jeff King
>     US DOE Facility Representative
>     Savannah River Operations Office
>     In-Tank Precipitation Facility

 Dear Jeff,

You are partly right: In a given device, the Proportional Region lies
below the GM-Region.  However, the determining quantity is not the voltage
but the electrical field.  I have use 8,000 Volts in a proportional counter
of large dimensions.  Actually, for experimental reasons, the cross-section
was a square!!  It worked as well as was needed.

Best regards

Fritz Seiler

Fritz A. Seiler
Institute for Regulatory         Sigma Five Associates
Science, Western Office          4101 Lara Dr. NE
P.O. Box 14006			 Albuquerque, NM 87111
Albuquerque, NM 87191,USA	 USA
Tel:	xx-505-323-7848	         xx-505-292-0392
Fax:    xx-505-293-3911		 xx-505-293-3911

e-mail: seiler@nrsi.org		 faseiler@nmia.com

All statements represent the author's opinions and not
the opinions or policies of any firm or institution.