Re: Re[2]: Ionization at 80 eV? (Yes)

        Jeff,

        I didn't see your e-mail address, so I'm answering you via radsafe
(sorry everyone),

        Your answer is, - It depends....

        I am "CERTAINLY" not an expert, but I'll try and answer your
question (very generally).

        In gas filled detectors, the proportional region  is from about 220
volts up to around 800-850 volts.  G.M. from around 850 - 950 volts
(wherever your tube starts discharging).  There is a lot of gray area here
due to a LOT of differences in equipment.

        In gas flow type proportional counters, your proportional region
starts around 800 volts for your alpha region - and your beta region (again
depending on your equipment) may go up to 2000 volts or more...

        Hope this helps,

        Joel Baumbaugh (email baumbaug@nosc.mil)
        NRaD

        Std. disclaimer - The opionis above are mine and mine only!  The
Federal Govt., the Navy and my bosses may not agree with the above information.

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: Ionization at 80 eV? (Yes)
>Author:  dale@radpro.uchicago.edu at Mailhub
>Date:    5/16/97 5:05 PM
>

>It is not so simple.  An 80 ev photon  or electron can easily ionize
>something, but it is the electric field not so much the potential
>that is important.
>
>Think about it.  Gm tubes typically have 900 volts between the anode and
>cathode.  Proportional detectors I have used needed up to 4000 volts.
>Both of these need ionizing radiation to trigger an event.  The _field_
>is insufficient to ionize even though the potential is there.
>
>Dale Boyce
>dale@radpro.uchicago.edu

Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
Naval Research and Development (NRaD)