Re: Update on Explosion at Hanford

George's summary is a good one. I mentioned last week that I would offer
comment on the accident. When USDOE downgraded the Alert, it became a
potential regulatory issue for my program, since USDOE/Hanford is my
licensee (Under 40 CFR 61 subpart H and various state laws tied to the
federal Clean Air Act). Under our regulatory program, and at the
invitation of USDOE, we went in as an independent agency to verify that
no plutionium was released to the air by this accident. We knew, during
our intitial response that there was no release sufficient to require
offsite protective actions, but, given the sensitivity of plutonium, and
this particular facility, in the eyes of the public, we all thought it
would be valuable to prove beyond a reasonable shadow of doubt, that
plutonium was not released. Then we could head off any debate over
alleged health effects.

This summary is not a critique of the accident or how USDOE handled it.
That is being done separately between the Department of Health, the
Department of Ecology, the state Emergency Management Division and the
counties. I will mention that the state and counties were not notified of
the Alert until three hours after the explosion occurred.

Room 40, in the Plutonium Reclamation Facility (PRF) is a chemical
make-up room, so no Pu is stored there; however, the room has been
subject to past contamination by Pu-239. We didn't know how much, but
some was cleaned up, and the rest was fixed under ALARA paint. The
explosion "domed" part of the roof, breaching it slightly.

My intent is to put together an airtight case. Except for the explosion
itself, we have been able to verify that the facility has been able to
maintain a negative pressure, with effluents passing through the
building's main HEPA banks (CAM data, strip charts and differential
pressure records).
There were five field teams out that night (Three Hanford, and two
state), with enough data to demonstrate that no protective actions beyond
those taken, were necessary).
We have data from Hanford ambient environmental monitoring program, data
from the WNP-2 nuke plant's ambient program, US Ecology's perimeter
monitoring program, and the state's environmental program. The projected
plume (if there had been a release) cooperated, by passing directly over
a wealth of samplers.  We have had access to periodic total alpha counts
on many of those filters. Isotopic Pu analyses are due any time now. Tha
alpha decay has been consistent with radon progeny.

The news media is very impatient  for our results. I keep referring to
our investigation as a 500 piece puzzle. We now have about 400 pieces put
together with no indication of a Pu release, but the puzzle still needs a
few more pieces put together. They understand the analogy.

We are proceeding cautiously, so no one (or almost no one) will doubt our
conclusions. I say almost no one, because I have received a few
interesting messages including one unbelievable E-mail message accusing
me of all kinds of misdeeds associated with my involvement.

The report we produce will be clearly written for public consumption. If
anyone wants a copy when its done, please E-Mail me at the address below.
It will probably take another week.

Just so you won't think everything has been hunky dory during our
investigation, we almost had to issue a Notice of Violation to DOE
because an individual was refusing us data (after DOE had publicly asked
for our assistance.) The individual refused on the grounds that he was
afraid we would over react to the preliminary total alpha count data,
saying it was Pu. For the record, we have a regulatory right to data for
the air pathway, as soon as its produced. A few well placed threats
finally got the message across . We haven't over reacted yet, though I
thought about it just for fun.

Allen W. Conklin
Head, Air Emissions & Defense Waste
Division of Radiation Protection