Re: Acceptable P-32 monitoring methods

I can't imagine using LSC wipes in place of a GM for P-32
contamination.  While LSC can count P-32 samples, it is not very
useful for performing surveys (as Sue's example points out).

Not only is the GM the ideal detector (but stay away from side window
probes), it is much cheaper, cleaner and faster than LSC.  If there
is only a little use of P-32, remember that GMs can come in very
small and cheap sizes.

Wes

> Date sent:      Thu, 22 May 97 08:48:58 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Michel, Rene" <rmichel@iastate.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Acceptable P-32 monitoring methods

> Radsafers:
>
> I am interested in obtaining an estimate of  the percentage of radiation
> safety offices that require workers to use portable monitoring instruments
>  (such as GM counters) while working with P-32 in biological laboratories.
>   I'm aware that at some institutions swipes are accepted as an alternative
>  means for detecting P-32 contamination.
>
> Please, let me know if portable monitoring instruments are the only method
> accepted for P-32 monitoring at your institution, or
> if either portable monitoring instruments or LSC swipes are accepted.
>
>  -Rene
>
> Rene Michel, Health Physicist
> Iowa State University
> rmichel@iastate.edu

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us