P-32 Monitoring

Hello

Interesting conversation about monitoring for P-32.    The facilities
that I have worked at have required that researchers have a GM
detector "readily available" any time they intend to use P-32.  In
all cases, the radiation safety committees of these facilities would
not even consider approving a lab's use of P-32 without the lab demonstrating
that they had a suitable GM detector on hand.

Swipes are helpful in that in most labs where P-32 is used, other
weaker emitters such as S-35, H-3, and C-14 are often in use, and
swipes are necessary any way.

PS- my experience is that Ludlum's Model 44-9 pancake GM is ideal for
P-32 contamaination monitoring.  I'm sure other manufacturers'
pancake-type probes are ok too.

Hope this helps.

Ron Amoling
RSO