Re: Acceptable P-32 monitoring methods

I agree with just about everything that everybody has said on this
issue. The main thing we have to keep in mind is that the limits are
set to control personnel exposure (both internal and external).
Contamination can be in two forms: loose and fixed. In order to
satisfy ALARA principles you must direct frisk all areas when you are
dealing with high energy beta emitters. Absorbant material in work
areas can not be accurately wipe test for contamination levels so
therefore it must be frisk.

To satisfy the survey requirements for quantitative measurements
wipes and LSC (or another means) must be used.
Scott Richards, RRPT
Radiation Safety Officer
University at Albany, SUNY
1400 Washington Ave., Chemistry B-73