Re: Acceptable P-32 monitoring methods

We stress to workers that for their own safety they need to monitor for
contamination during and after finishing an experiment to maintain a clean
environment.   For this purpose we recommend the use of a survey metter; I
agree with others that a pancake probe is probably the best for this
purpose. We do not require them to maintain records of such surveys.  Our
department performs wipes in all labs where radioisotopes are used and those
are the official contamination records of the institution.

Esmeralda Party
Assistant Director,
Biological & Radiation Safety Officer
Laboratory Safety & Environmental Health
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue
New Yorkn NY 10021-6399
phone: (212) 327-8324