Re: Related issue - patient

In a message dated 97-05-23 15:46:05 EDT, Mike Bohan wrote:

<< I would recommend that the state rad. control programs purchase portable
MCA
 setups with a large portable shielded NaI detector (3" x 3").  They could
then
 acquire a spectrum and compare it against known radiopharmaceutical
spectrums to prevent having to wade through waste to recover Tc-99m
contaminated diapers,
 etc.  >>

As a matter of fact, our state program does have a portable MCA or two.  It
is still quite expensive to send someone out to a landfill,  especially when
some are over a hundred miles from the nearest inspection office, to say,
"yup, that's Tc-99m."  Far better if this waste never made it to the public
landfill, as legally it should not.

Barbara L. Hamrick
Los Angeles County - Radiation Management
BLHamrick@aol.com