Info request on medical treatment of contaminated patients

At 01:20 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The United Nations published an extensive report called "The Radiological
>accident in Goi=E2nia", Vienna, International Atomic Energy Agency ;=
> [Lanham,
>MD : UNIPUB, distributor], 1988.
>
>The Cs-137 contamination was widespread and several persons suffered acute
>radiation sickness.  I=20
>seem to recall that several people were treated with Prussian Blue.
>Although the isotope involved in this=20
>incident is probably not too relevant to your case, the large scale
>screening and decon measures necessitated by this incident may be of
>interest - I believe that something like 80,000 people were affected.
>
>Hope this helps, Don
>
>Don Jordan=09
>The University of Chicago=09
>Office of Radiation Safety
>Zoology Building Room 11
>1101 East 57th Street
>Chicago,  Illinois  60615
>Tel.	773-702-6299
>Fax	773-702-4008
>email Don_Jordan@fpm.uchicago.edu

Dear Don,

I just arrived from Chicago, where in the International Training Course on
Planning, Preparedness and Response for Radiological Emergencies, held at
Argonne National Laboratory, I presented the Radiological Accident in
Goiania, Similarities and Differences with the Chernobyl Accident.

The Correct Information about human exposure, internal and external
contamination in Goiania was as follow:

EXPOSURE OF THE POPULATION IN GOIANIA, BRAZIL

GOIANIA POPULATION 1,000,000

112,000 MONITORED

249 EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL DOSES, INDICATIVE OF CONTAMINATION

129 EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL CONTAMINATION, CONCLUSIVE

49 ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL

22 NEEDED INTENSIVE MEDICAL CARE

04 DIED

01 FOREARM AMPUTEE

Please GO TO the homepage www.cnen.gov.br click the International Conference
"The Radiological Accident with Cs-137, Goiania, 10 years later"

J. J. Rozental
Consultant, Radiation Safety and Regulation
for Developing Country, Israel
Brazilian National Commision of Nuclear Energy, General Coordinator in
Goiania during the Radiological Accident