Re: NRC Decom Rule-WashPost Article -Reply -Reply -Reply

Well, we have the opportunity to ask (tell?) EPA to do
something about this ... as you know EPA issued a FR
notice last week regarding radon in drinking water, but based
on what we heard with our meeting with EPA last week, the
whole radionuclides in drinking water issue is open for
discussion. The primary contact with EPA on this is David
Huber [202-260-9566 ... huber.david@epamail.epa.gov]
The states [Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky,
Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee] are
going to be pushing for a single, dose-based MCL (using
dose calculations based on the latest methodology ... in this
case Federal Guidance 11) for all radionuclides in drinking
water. We also are calling for EPA to adopt a cleanup rule
that addresses all pathways and does not single out one
pathway (i.e., groundwater).

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675  fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> erollins <erollins@conterra.com> 05/26/97 13:31 >>>

Your Saturday math is correct and the 20,000 pCi/l was
based on a 1963 report (can't remember the name on
Memorial day) and has never been updated.  EPA should
really do something about this one.

Gene Rollins, CHP