Waste Monitoring

Dear Radsafers:

I am looking for information regarding the radiological screening of waste
coming into a landfill, incinerator, or other type of waste facility.  I
have some information on what can be done and what should be done, but I'm
trying to find out what must be done as required by regulation.

-Are there actually any regulatory requirements?
-Do agreement states differ in this from NRC states?
-Is radiological screening of incoming waste required (or not required) by
local or community mandate?
-What should (or must) be done if I detect radioactive material coming in to
one of the above mentioned facilities?

Here's one specific issue:  We all know that it is highly possible to
receive a quantity of short-lived medical isotope (such as I-131) of
sufficient activity to easily trigger almost any alarm.  This radioactive
material, also, most likely, would have been released in a manner which was
perfectly legal, but still triggers the alarm.
So technically, there's no legal issue.

-If I can positively identify the isotope (through half life or gamma spec),
can I hold onto it for decay so it doesn't set off someone else's alarm?
-Are there any regulations against holding an unknown material for a brief
time to make an identification by its decay rate?
-Once an isotope is identified as medical waste released appropriately, can
it continue on in the waste stream?

I'd appreciate any information anyone could provide me on any of the
questions above.

Thanks in advance.

Paul R. Steinmeyer
e-mail: info@radpro.com