Material in wounds

Dear Radsafers

A while ago I put a question out on the topic of radioactive material
incorporated in wounds and received no responses.  I am reformulating the
questions to better define the kind of information I am looking for, and
perhaps there is someone out there who can help.

The questions of primary interest are

1. What is the likely mass (or volume) distribution of soil (I am primarily
interested in coral soil which has a fairly large particle size) that could
be incorporated long term at the site of a wound arising from a cut or fall
on a coral reef or beach?

2. What is the maximum size of particle or accumulated material that, for
the accident in 1, would remain embedded without natural sloughing or
deliberate removal by the individual or medical or other persons?

3. In the event of an active Pu particle being incorporated at a wound site,
is it likely that alpha irradiation of tissue around the particle would
encourage or hasten its removal by natural or interventional means?

Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Andrew C McEwan
National Radiation Laboratory
PO Box 25-099
Christchurch, New Zealand