Re: CITIZENS GROUPS CRITICIZE NUCLEAR AGENCY'S RADIATION LE

> Date:          Wed, 28 May 97 16:39:03 -0500
> From:          Randall_F_Brich@RL.gov
> >>"urge EPA to set its own standards for cleanup of all radioactively
> contaminated sites in the U.S., overriding NRC's outrageously weak standards."<<
>

> I guess the question becomes -- can EPA actually override NRC's cleanup
> regulation?  Any thoughts/opinions?

	Just about any government organization feels free to pass
	regulations that parallel/override/extend  any other organization's
	regulations, often with little though of the effect on the person
	at the bleeding edge.  Then state and local governments get into
	the act.(Remember Minnesota's recent thoughts about limiting
	public exposure to 10mr (or was it 15) per year?

	The remark I loved was one politician's fervent vow that he
	would not rest until "all students tested above average."

	As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Frank R. Borger - Physicist - Center for Radiation Therapy
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu   ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697

"Have the accordion player sound the charge!"... "He can't sir, he
took a bullet in the bellows during 'Lady of Spain.'" - Dave Barry